How to Apply China Travel Visa for Malaysian

Part of the preparation for our China trip was to apply the Chinese Tourist Visa. Tourist Visa is REQUIRED for Malaysians traveling in Mainland China excluding Hong Kong & Macau.

The easiest but more expensive way is to ask your Travel Agent to apply on your behalf especially if you are staying outside Kuala Lumpur & Penang. However do allow 10 working days to apply via travel agent.

Take note of some important pointers!

1. The Chinese Visa Application Service Center:

  • Kuala Lumpur – Level 5 & 6, Hampshire Place Office, Jalan Mayang Sari, 50450 Kuala Lumpur
  • Penang – Ground Floor,17 Lebuh Bishop,10200 Georgetown,Pulau Pinang

2. Business Hours: Monday-Friday. Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. Submission of applications: 9:00 to 15:00. Payment and collection: 9:00 to 16:00.

3. FOUR Working Days (KL) & SIX Working Days (Penang) needed after submitting your passport for regular service. Note: Penang center offers regular service only.

4. Refer the Schedule of Fees for the visa application. Payment is made during passport collection.

Steps to self apply the Chinese Travel Visa

1. Complete the Online Visa Application Form.

2. Bring along

  • Original passport with at least Six Months of remaining validity and with at least Two Blank Pages.
  • 2 China Visa Passport Photo (Colour Photo with White Background and with forehead shown. Size: 48mm x 33mm)
  • A photocopy of the passport’s info page.
  • Flight Ticket Copy or Proof of hotel reservation

For more detailed info, you can CLICK HERE.

3. The process is fairly straightforward, just head to 5th floor KL office. The receptionist will check your documents and provide you a waiting number. During your turn, submit the relevant documents and they will give you a collection receipt. (Note: 4 or 6 working days includes the day you submit)

4. Level 5 Hampshire Place Office is the place to submit your application form while Level 6 is the place to collect your passport and make payment.

5. Payment is made when you collect your passport. You can pay by cash or credit card.

My China Visa

If you find this article useful, SHARE IT to your friends & family members. Also don’t forget to Follow our Instagram & LIKE our Facebook, and Sign Up our Email Newsletter to receive more travel tips & latest travel promotion.

About Tommy Ooi 509 Articles
Luxury Hotel Reviewer & Destination Blogger. Passionate for travel, exploring new culture & indulging divine food, Tommy has traveled to 42 countries & 140+ destinations.


  1. Hi Tommy,

    Could you brief me more about “A photocopy of the passport’s data page, observation page and the photo page if it is separate.”? I am not so clear with this part.

    Besides that, if I go Macao from Mainland and back to Mainland again, is it means that it is considers as double entry? We arrive at China from Malaysia is the 1st entry, after that we back fro Macao and go into Mainland again consider as 2nd entry?

    If I apply my Visa on April 2017, but my flight date is falling on coming June 2017, will it be any problem for it? I would like to apply my Visa earlier as my coming schedule is vy tight.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Thank You and Regards.

  2. Is it hard to get a chinese business visa in Kuala Lumpur? I am EU-citizen, living in Shanghai right now, but need to apply for a new visa this month

  3. May i know what’s the difference between the office in Hampshire Place Office, Jalan Mayang Sari and this one ?
    Address: 2nd floor, Plaza OSK, 25 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Office Hours: Application Submission: 9:00-15:00 Monday-Friday
    Payment and Passport Collection: 9:00-16:00 Monday-Friday
    Tel: +60-3-21758888, 21757888

    are the charges different ?

  4. Hi Tommy. Your post are so helpful. Anyway, I wanted to apply visa next Tuesday which is on 25.04.17 n by right the visa will be ready by 28.04.17. My question is, can the visa be ready by 28.04.17 if i wanted to catch a flight at the night or the next day? Due to the time is quite tight, or should i apply using the express application? I don’t want to risk the loss for the air ticket that’s why I’m asking for your opinion. Hope that u can help on my query. Thanks!

  5. It’s possible apply for me Italian citizen transit in Malaysia with tourist visa i KL? I read it’s suggest to apply one month in advance from your intend of fly in China. I will be in KL 23 day before my ticket to china, it’s ok?? thank you very much for the information, very usefull

  6. hi, my friend say when apply china visa, we need to provide 2 expired passport to them plus the valid one total 3 passport need to bring, is that correct?

  7. please tell me
    I myself Belarus
    if I am on business in Kuala Lumpur can I open a Chinese business visa in China?
    and what do I need?
    maybe you can suggest any travel Agency?

  8. hi Tommy
    thanks for your help in advance.
    I currently working in SG and I need my own passport to travel to and fro, can I get a piece of paper(proof) from service center during the 4 working days for me to show the custom officer in SG?

  9. Hi, Just for travel VISA , it also needed 4 working to process? I from Penang.
    I wish to do it and get on same days so I dun need to travel to KL for 2 times

  10. Hi Tommy,just wondering if you need to provide two separate flight tickets in order to apply for the double entries travel visa? Thank you.

    • Hi Ng For foreigners who hold tickets to a third country and have booked seats on international airlines, ships, trains transiting through China, if the stay is less than 24 hours, they can enjoy the 24-hour visa-free transit.

  11. Hi,im currently working in taiwan
    I never apply any china visa before,the only way for me is to go back to Malaysia and apply?
    Can i apply in hong kong?
    Worst comes to worst,can i send my passport back to malaysia and ask someone to apply for me?
    Thx lot for your time,much appreciate

  12. hi is the office closed this monday on 4th september due to the sea games holiday. and what am i to do if i cant apply the visa on monday because my flight is on tuesday ?

  13. Hello Tommy, I read that we are still required to apply for China visa even if Shen zhen and Zhu hai are part of our HK & Macau trip, may I confirm if Malaysians are 100% eligible to apply for this Shenzhen Visa on Arrival? Thank you for your time, much appreciated!!

  14. Hi, is it possible to be in Malaysia on a tourist visa and get a student visa into China? I heard last time from a friend that tried during the October holiday that this is not possible. Can you please verify if I can apply for my student visa whilst in Malaysia travelling?

  15. Hi Tommy, I have applied a visa on-line yesterday and got a visa application number. When my colleague submitted the application form at the counter this morning, it was rejected because the counter needed another form relating to the on-line application. Would you know what it is? After I submitted on-line, there was an acknowledgement showing the application number. I submitted that acknowledgement but was rejected. I’m puzzled. Is there another one? Anyway, can we use back the same application number?

  16. I have a previous visit visa in 1999. Do I have to give a photocopy of it? The website is not very clear. It says it applies to former Chinese citizens but in later paragraph it sounds generic. Since I’ve read of complaints about rejected applications due to incomplete documents I’m trying to double check with others.

  17. Hi. I am Malaysian plan to visit china for 60-90 days. I have a individual who is inviting party invite me to china. Do you think which visa is applicable for me? F visa? S2 visa ? or L visa? If L visa is that only can apply double entry tourist visa which entitled the total 60days visit? I am planning to book the flight ticket but stuck in the type of visa application.

  18. Hi, I just applied China visa this morning at 9.30am. to be collected on 21/12/17. Now due to unforseen circumstances, I will not be going to China. Can I go tomorrow morning to cancell my visa application? do I need to pay any fee for cancellation? urgent advice please

  19. Hi Tommy. My friend and I (Malaysian)will go to China for 10 days but through Hong Kong first. We will visit Guangzhou and Shenzen and aslo Macau. After that we must return to HK and back to Malysia.
    Does China visa cover all that city or we also have to apply ETA for HK?
    Thank you.

  20. i dont understand, during visa application u need a copy of flight ticket. but in my case, to purchase flight ticket i need a visa first. it is so confusing. how?

  21. Hi Tommy, what if I enter Shenzhen from Hong Kong by Train? and back to Hong Kong on that day? Do I need to apply Visa? as in day trip to Shenzhen. If yes, do I need to purchase the train ticket via online for the visa apply?

  22. Copy and Paste From

    FAQ About China Visa Application In Malaysia

    Can I extend the duration of stay of my visa in China

    You may apply for an extension of the “duration of stay” of your visa at a local public security authority before it expires, but without an assumption that the application will be automatically approved. Overstay violates the laws of China and will be punished.

    Does a child need to fill out a visa application form as well?

    As an independent applicant, the child needs to fill out a separate visa application form. However, if the child shares the same passport with a principal applicant, this is not required.

    I am currently in China. Can I mail my application to you?

    No, you can’t. If you are currently in China, you have to exit the country to apply for a Chinese visa. Application acceptance is only available to people lawfully residing in the country in which this centre is located.

    May I know Malaysia passport holder need to apply any visa to Hong Kong and Macau?

    No, Malaysia passport holders don’t need a visa in HK and Macao for travel. In Macau, you are exempt from visa for 30 days and 90 days in HK.

    I will be attending some meetings in China. Should I apply for a China business visa or tourist visa?

    If the main purpose of your visit/trip is business, trade affairs, or commercial discussions then you must apply for a business visa to China. However, you are allowed to tour the country with a business visa. You do not need a separate Chinese tourist visa to see China’s cultural heritage.

    In addition to all required paperwork, you should request a business invite from the inviting company in China.

    I am going to mainland China, then to Hong Kong and back to mainland China for one night. Does this mean I must have a double-entry visa?

    Absolutely. Double-entry visa means you can enter into mainland of China twice within 180 days. Since you are going to the mainland of China twice, you must have a double-entry visa. Although being part of China, Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region.

    My passport expires in 9 months, can I still get a 12-month multiple-entry visa?

    No, you can’t. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from date of application in order to get a travel to China visa. You can get a single or double entry visa if your passport expires in less than 12 months, but more than 6 months. You can only get a 12-month multiple entry visa if your passport is valid for at least 15 months.

    I’m going to China on January 1, and my visa expires on January 10. Can I still stay for 30 days?

    Yes, you can. As long as you enter China before the expiration date, you can stay for 30 or more days as specified on your visa. The duration of stay starts from the day you enter China.

    I will travel between Hong Kong and the mainland multiple times. Do I need a multiple-entry visa?

    Yes, you do need a multiple-entry visa for that purpose. Each time you enter China from Hong Kong or Macao, you need one entry.

    I had Malaysia tourist visa 90 days, can I apply China visa in Malaysia?

    Last time, yes! but China Embassy has updated new rules and had informed us that non Malaysia passport holder cannot apply China Visa in Malaysia if they do not hold long term Malaysia visa such as Malaysia working permit, Malaysia Spouse Visa or Malaysia Second Home Visa. They need to apply China Visa in their home country. For confirmation please contact China Embassy.

  23. Hi Tommy, if i help my family member to apply the visa, so the form must get their signature (part 4)? Then fill in the application form can by handwriting or must to typing and print out?

  24. Hi Tommy,
    Can i fill in the application form and apply the visa for my family member on behalf without their signature at (part 4)? Then i have to fill in at (part 5)?

  25. Hi Tommy, thanks for the detailed info on the China Visa. Saw you applied 2 entries for the 6 months to enter China, need to show them 2 flights ticket?
    I would like to apply for the 2 entries for the 6 months too. However, I only booked for the 1st flight ticket to China and have yet to book for the 2nd flight ticket.

  26. Hi Tommy, apologies for bothering you. I am planning to enter china by train. I am planning to spend a week in hk before i go to china. Therefore, i have bought my hk air tickets. Just wondering, by showing my hk air tickets, will it be sufficient? any advise? many thanks

  27. Hi Tommy, thanks for your detailed post on the chinese visa application.

    I’m currently on a career break and thus am unemployed at the moment. I was wondering do I need to provide a bank statement to prove that I have sufficient funds to cover my travels in China?


  28. Hi, Im planning to travel from 22 march to 7 april, and then on 10 april im supposed to go China for a holiday. Is it possible to apply for the Visa before i travel on the 22 March? Thank you

  29. Hi Tommy, I am a Malaysian working in Vietnam. I have a work permit for Vietnam but my wife do not have. In order for my wife to stay here is to enter Hekou and get the passport stamp every month. I heard that we need to have a return ticket to apply for the china visa. Hekou is just at the border to Lao Cai, Vietnam and we can walk across to Hekou. Please advice on whether air ticket is needed on this matter. Thank you.

  30. HI Tommy, I have bought air tickets to Guangzhou on 29th March and return on 9th April. I also bought air ticket from Guangzhou to Haikou on 30th March and return to Guangzhou on 2 April. Understand Malaysian needs no visa to enter Hainan Island like going to Hong Kong and Macau. Do I as Malaysian need multiple entry to reenter China from Hainan.? Is Hainan also a special administrative centre like HK ?

    • Hi Lim, yes your single visa is valid for both hainan and back to guangzhou. Just to note Hainan special visa is unlike hong kong and macau. You are required to travel with travel agency and in a group of 5, cant just land in without visa for 2 and free and easy

  31. Hi Tommy

    I need to go to Beijing in Dec 2018 together with my family. Can I and my wife apply for China Visa for my children behalf?

    What are the documents I need to prepare for my children submission?

    Thanks in advance.

  32. Hi Tommy,

    I need to apply for the urgent visa to china. I saw you said that it can be as fast as 1 day when the website says the processing time is 2days. Does it includes the day of submission or the day after? And can I know is there any difference between urgent visa and rush visa?

    Thanks in advance.

  33. Hi Tommy,

    Do you have any recommended travel agency to apply for China Visa?
    I plan to engage travel agency for the visa application.
    And I don’t have hotel booking or invitation letter, hope it can be provide by travel agency.

  34. Hi Tommy, This is article is so helpful, could you please advise me if the visa photo can be taken at the visa center or anywhere nearby the place?

  35. for some reason my passport is not with me right now until 14th May (MONDAY) . so am I still can get the visa before 18th Friday(the day i depart) if i apply on Monday after I collect my passport ?

  36. Is the process of application in Penang same as in KL office? Do we need authorization letter if we apply on behalf of our family members?

  37. Hey Tommy, thank you for your post. If I have visited china maybe 20 years ago when I was 8 years old, do I need need to provide the old visa mentioned in the application form? I don’t think I am able to show it since it was so long ago.

  38. Hi Tommy,

    It is my first time applying China visa in KL. Do I need to present my last passport for them? Some said they need to see my previous passport, but my previous passport is in Sabah. Would you mind to give some advice?


  39. Hi Tommy,

    I together with my family member total 11 persons will visit Hainan Island on 9 June 2018. We bought ticket online ourselves with China Southern Airlines. Do we need to apply for visa?

  40. Hi there, please may I find out if the centre notifies you when the visa is ready (via email/SMS)? Or do you just go on the expected collection date (on the pickup form)?

  41. Hi Tommy
    I need to apply visa to china for my kids below 3 years old, according to travel agency i need to apply personally at embassy of china, can you advice what is the step, thanks

  42. hi tommy im malaysian chinese working in singapore. i know that now we can apply for 5 year visa to enter china. can i apply this visa at china embassy in singapore? thx

  43. Hi Tommy,
    I am Malaysian and will be traveling to Beijing with my family. I heard there is 72 hours free tourist visa to China. My flight from Malaysia – Beijing (8 Sept, depart 1800 and arrive 0020 (+1 day)). Flight from Beijing to Malaysia (12 Sept, depart 0130 and arrive 0750). Do I need to apply for the visa since i will only be in China for roughly 73 hours?
    Thank you.

  44. hello, is it true that foreigner without long term visa cannot apply for express and rush option anymore ?
    I am from Indonesia planning to go Malaysia for short holiday and to apply for China tourist visa

  45. Hi Tommy,
    Would like to check with you what no of entry should I apply for this itinerary: Shenzhen – Hong Kong – Macau – Zhuhai – Shenzhen. Thanks

  46. Hi, if I am going to China for work purpose (with invitation letter), and planning to bring my wife and child along.. do each of us need to fill up the online application form? or me alone will do

  47. Hi, would like to ask, my flight back to KL is from Shanghai-Xiamen-Kuala Lumpur, however i’ll be arriving at Xiamen around 23:00 & my flight back to KL is 9am tomorrow, if i would like to enter the city (for lodging purposes) will i need to apply for visa to Xiamen? or when I apply my visa to Shanghai it is already considered ok?

    • Hi Melissa, your china visa is valid at all cities, upon entering Shanghai and without exiting China (except macau & hong kong) you can move on to other cities like Xiamen.. You will arrive at domestic airport which do not need extra visa

  48. hi Tommy, I have a few questions:-
    (1) if I opt for rush application means this morning submitted and able to collect on the next day, right?
    (2) For normal schedule, can I ask someone to pick up the visa on my behalf?
    (3) If I were to get someone to pick up the visa, what kind of document(s) required for verification?

    thank you

  49. Hi Tommy ,

    I’m going to visit Guilin for 6 days 5 night. They said free-visa for 144 hours being in China. Would you be able to confirm on this ?

  50. Hi Tommy, do i have to show my hotel reservation for my supporting document? I have my flight ticket ready but have not make any hotel reservation yet. Can i proceed to make the visa for China without the hotel reservation proof?

  51. hi tommy,
    just wanna ask how about if I brought only one way ticket first ? because I not sure which is the date will be back of course within 30 days will be back

  52. Thanks Tommy for your reply. If no hotel reservation is needed, what should I fill in section 2.6 of the application form? What should I write in in itinerary part?

  53. Very important document: Applicants who are 18 years old or below MUST submit a photocopy of their birth certificate. I got turned back today because of this 🙁

  54. Hi Tommy,

    I visited China once during Sep-18 for business purpose. Hence, my Visa Category is M (Commercial & Trade category). I’ll be visiting China on Dec-18 for travel purpose, do I need to apply for a new visa?
    My Visa entries is 2 and validity till Feb-19.

  55. Hi Tommy,

    i have guest asking us ( travel agent) to process their China Visa, 4 adults + 3 children,
    2 of the child have their parents coming along but, another 1 have notarize letter written by his parents.
    since travel agent assisting them, do the 2 child with parents need to write a letter or the guest must present during submission of the form?

  56. Hi Tommy,

    I plan to apply for a double entry visa to be issued on 15 Dec 18. My 1st entry will be on 20 Dec 18 and I will be staying for 10 days, Can my 2nd entry be on 10 June 19 to stay for 20 days? Thanks

  57. Hi Tommy,

    I already have China visa (multiple entry) and the due date is on 23rd March 2019. I am going to China next week. Some one told me I cannot use the visa anymore because the visa expiry date is less than 6 months. Is it true? As I know, we can enter China anytime before the expiry date on 23rd March 2019. Kindly advise me.

  58. Hi Tommy, is it a must to have round trip ticket? cause currently i only have the train ticket from HK to Beijing, but for the ticket leaving China I still unable to get it as its not open for sale yet.

  59. Hi. I have few questions as below:

    1. We need to bring along the flight tickets. Can we bring the flight bookings instead as we have yet to check-in and print out the tickets?

    2. Understand that anyone can send and pick-up on our behalf? It has to be the same person for send and pickup or not? Do we need to declare/ authorize the person who send and pickup, or anybody can just bring the pickup form and pickup on behalf?

  60. HI Tommy,
    I understand you need to show flight bookings before applying for the visa. My problem is this – I’m going on an overland trip that is – I will be travelling to China from Vietnam. I got no flight tickets to show them.
    Please advice.

  61. It’s a long overland trip to Europe via China and Russia. So will get the return ticket either in England or Turkey months later.

  62. Hi Tommy, thanks for this useful article ☺
    I’ve been reading the info on chinavisa website, and it was mentioned that other than the basic documents you’ve listed above, we will need supporting documents such as an official invitation letter (I dont know what the heck is that ;(( )
    Is that really necessary?

  63. Hi! Tommy,

    Thanks of your information!!

    What is the charges for business VISA to China and how many day to process ?

    i have receive invitation letter from them…

    Need Master Tommy to advice 🙂

  64. Hi Tommy,
    Do we need to make appointment before going there?
    Malaysian citizen to apply china visa is RM100 correct? Im confused with one of your reply stating RM200 instead.

    Thanks a lot!

  65. Hi Tommy. Thank you for your post. I went into the Online form – Penang is not listed in the drop-down. So, I assume I cannot use if I am going to submit form to Penang Visa Centre.

  66. Hi Tommy,

    Do we need to make appointment first before we go?
    While I will depart from KL to China, but later from China back to Japan. Will there any problem on my travel China visa application?
    This is my first time applying. Thank you.

  67. Hi Tommy, thanks for sharing such an informative post.

    I have one question regarding the type of visa a tourist can apply. Do you know if the 6 months/ 12 months multiple entries visa is open for traveller (with no intention of carrying out business) to apply so?

  68. Can I know how many days is the single entry and double entry visa valid ? You have stated 6 months for multiple entry visa but not for the first two.

  69. Hi Tommy I’ m transiting to LA via China and wont stay not more than 24 hours . Do i need to apply for visa? even if i do i m in rush so can I apply on monday (16th December ) and get it on 17th December? Does the rush application includes submission date?

    • Hi Chengmun, which city? If Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Beijing not needed. The rest city you might need it, the best is to contact the airline to check. If Wuhan needs transit. Yes rush would be able collect the next day

  70. Hi Tommy
    Am residing in Penang and would like to apply student visa for my daughter to China for further studies in one of the Unis there. The Visa Application Centre in Penang is temporary closed and how are we to engage an agent to handle this for us in KL? or that we could do this via online? Any contact number of agent residing in Penang to handle this. Travelling inter-state is still a problem though. Kindly revert. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.